Friday, September 19, 2008

Sept.16

Aim: How is the Shakespearean Sonnet different from the Petrarchan Sonnet
Do Now: How would you describe your approach to romance when compared to your friends?

My approach to romance is much different compared to my friends. My friends are more out there and they want to be in a relationship and I am not thinking about that.

Teacher Read Aloud: Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43
XLIII. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Comprehension Check:
What question does the speaker of “Sonnet 43” prose and answer?

-How the speakers loves it's beloved.
What is your impression of the romantic relationship described in this sonnet?

-The speaker loves the person so much.
Do you think it is desirable to love or be loved in this way?

-I think it is desirable to be loved in this way.
Literary Analysis:
What symbols are evident in this poem?

-The speaker loves the person.
Critical thinking:
Do you think it is wrong to love some so intensely?

- I think it is not wrong to love someone so intensely but at somepoint it will get a litle freaky.
Share out!

No comments: