Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Eulogy

A murder, by two loves

[James]

No one really knew who Sibyl Vane was. To everyone, she was known as just an actress that played different characters every night and died at a young age. To me Sibyl was more than just an upcoming actress. She was going to be a great actress. Sibyl didn’t just love acting. She loved the idea of falling in love and being in love. I have many fond memoirs of Sibyl and there are so many things that I can express about who Sibyl was.

My sister was born on a warm summer afternoon on June 20th in 1890[1]. As she grew up, we knew that she was born an actress. Although she never went to school, she learned everything about acting from my mother. When Sibyl reached the age of 7, she decided she was ready to act. Although she was puny, she insisted on wearing one of our mother’s costumes. Knowing she wouldn’t shut up until she got the dress and makeup, I helped her out. She looked ridiculous with lipstick drawn all over her face, a dress that dragged a few feet behind her and shoes twice the size of her feet. When our mother got home, she dropped everything she was carrying and started to die of laughter.

[Mrs. Vane]

I remember that day quite well, but recall Sibyl’s first performance as the best day in my life. She played Juliet in a small theatre in Holborn[2]. She was so happy before, during, and after her performance. She didn’t even want to look or go anywhere else. “This is now my second home” Sibyl said. That was when she was 12. Every night, she would go back on stage, never tired, never bored. Sibyl never looked for anything else in life but to please the crowd.

But then along came Mr. Perfect 5 years later. One night after Sibyl was done acting as Rosalind[3], a mysterious man came round backstage and confessed his love for her. Immediately Sibyl fell in love. She told me that this man looked like a prince, and therefore called him Prince Charming.[4] Although I was concerned that this man would distract her from acting, Sibyl cried “Money, Mother? What does money matter? Love is more than money.”[5]

Although I did not know the man, I gave into Sibyl. I remember when she questioned why he loved her so much. She said, “I know why I love him. I love him because he is like what Love himself should be. But what does he see in me? I am not worthy of him”.[6] After all, he was of a higher class. Even James warned me about this man. He warned me to watch after her.[7]

On that fateful night of August 6th 1907[8], when she re-entered the theatre, I knew she was not herself. She told me she desperately needed to get something. When I asked if there was something wrong, she said that everything was fine. After she entered the theatre, I over heard Sibyl’s boss questioning how “he” could do that. How could “he” be so cruel and unjust? Now that I reflect on that night, I can only assume that “Prince Charming” was unfair and unjust.[9]

After waiting for Sibyl to come back down, she showed no sign of reappearing. After going up to her dressing room, I found her lying dead on the floor. There was a white substance smeared all over her face.[10] At the time, I could not believe what had just occurred; it seemed like an illusion. Did my little baby just kill herself? It turns out the verdict was death by misadventure.[11] My little baby loved many things in the world, however, she loved acting and Prince Charming the most. This was her fidelity and it filled her life with joy.

[James]

I still remember the last time I was with her. She was so happy, overflowing with joy. I wanted her to stay like this forever, happy and content. I had a bad feeling about her “Prince Charming.” I tried to warn her about men and how cruel they can be. I didn’t want her to suffer; I wanted to keep that smile on her face forever. The house, which was once filled with laughter, is now silenced. Sibyl is gone… forever and she’s not coming back. Although she isn’t here physically, she lives on through her legacy. She filled the lives of those who knew her with joy and inspired those whom she only met once. Before I left for Australia[12], she asked me to go to the theater. “He is going to be there, and I am to play Juliet! Oh! How I shall play it! Fancy, Jim, to be in love and play Juliet! To have him sitting there! To play for his delight!” she said thrilled with just the thought of it.[13] I now regret leaving that day; I regret not protecting her. If only I stayed with her she might have been here today. If only I didn’t leave.

Sibyl Vane had a simple life with two loves, Dorian and Acting. Both were the death of her, and in this death, she found absolution. She thought Prince Charming was “the Prince of life.”[14] “Take me away, Prince Charming – take me away with you where we can be quite alone,”[15] she begged. Let us hope she has found peace alone with another Prince Charming-our Lord up in heaven.



[1] The original publication of The Picture of Dorian Gray was this date.

[2] “Sibyl Vane, a young actress recently engaged at the Royal Theatre, Holborn.”

[3] “The third night. She had been playing Rosalind. I could not help going round.”

[4] “She [Sibyl] said quite simply to me [Dorian], “You look more like a prince. I must call you Prince Charming.””

[5] The picture of Dorian Gray

[6] The Picture of Dorian Gray published by Barnes and Nobles Classics page 65.

[7] “My son, you distress me very much. Sibyl is always under my special care.”

[8] We chose August as when Sibyl died, it sounded like it was a summer month, the 6 correlates to the devil’s 666 number and 1907 is 17 years later than 1890.

“It was an exquisite day. The warm air seemed laden with spices.”

[9] “Acting! I leave that to you [Sibyl]. You do it so well,” he [Dorian] answered bitterly.”

[10] [Lord Henry] “I don't know what it was, but it had either prussic acid or white lead in it.”

[11] A verdict of death by misadventure was returned.”

[12] “I wish now that I [James] was not going to Australia at all.”

[13] The Picture Of Dorian Gray published by Barnes and Nobles Classics page 71.

[14] My love! My love! Prince Charming! Prince of life!”

[15] “Take me away, Dorian—take me away with you, where we can be quite alone.”

No comments: